It’s great if your senior loved one fully embraces the good things about being older and wiser. Still, he or she probably isn’t as thrilled about the potential health risks associated with aging. While there’s nothing anyone can do to stop the aging process, there are some foods you can encourage your loved one to include in his or her diet that have anti-aging benefits. Below, you’ll find eight of them.
1. Red Bell PeppersRed bell peppers are flavorful and loaded with cell-protecting antioxidants. When cells are protected, they’re less susceptible to age-related changes and damage. Red peppers are also rich in vitamin C, which contributes to more youthful skin because of increased collagen production. Some aging adults need assistance preparing nutritious meals at home. The type of home care Waterloo, IA, seniors need can vary. Some need assistance a few hours a day, while others require more extensive around-the-clock assistance. At Home Care Assistance, we tailor our care plans based on each senior’s individual care needs, and the plans can be adjusted at any time.
2. BlueberriesBecause of high amounts of vitamins A and C and a powerful antioxidant called anthocyanin, blueberries can protect older skin from damage related to sun exposure and stress. These richly-hued berries also reduce DNA damage and protect healthy forms of cholesterol the body needs to function well.
3. BroccoliThis green, leafy veggie is loaded with a bunch of anti-aging nutrients that can be beneficial for seniors. Along with an abundance of antioxidants, broccoli is rich in:
- A type of vitamin B called folate that helps with cell growth
- Vitamins C and K
- Lutein, a type of vitamin with vision benefits
- Calcium and fiber
4. NutsSalty, processed nuts aren’t too healthy, but there are plenty of other nuts that can be good for seniors looking to minimize age-related health issues. Walnuts and almonds, in particular, are loaded with vitamin E, which helps with skin and tissue repair. Walnuts are also a reliable source of inflammation-fighting omega-3 fatty acids. These healthy fatty acids may help with the anti-aging process by:
- Providing protection against sun damage
- Strengthening cell membranes
- Contributing to healthier, smoother skin